Backyard Toddler Safety Tips
Baby Proofing Directory
> Outdoor Safety>
In the Backyard >
The backyard poses an entirely new set of problems and concerns.
Many families enjoy spending time in their backyards, especially
during the summer months. It doesn’t matter whether you
like to have family cook outs or simply sit outside and look at
following is a list of items that are needed when you venture
out the back door.
1. Watch your baby at all times. Bugs, rocks, dirt, grass, etc.
could all prove to be hazards.
2. Bug spray. If you live in a climate where mosquitoes, ticks,
etc are a problem then you will want something to protect your
baby. The best products are Deet free and come in gentle formulas.
Avon skin-so-soft is one of the best products on the market and
is very gentle for young skin. OFF Skintastic family is another
3. Water. Always have plenty of fresh water and snacks.
4. Sunscreen. Anytime your baby is outdoors they should be protected
with an SPF of at least 50.
5. Keep your baby contained. If you have a large yard, you may
want to invest in play yard. It will keep baby in one area, and
give you a much smaller area to baby proof. Pay special attention
once your child starts standing, as they will eventually be able
to climb out.
6. Be mindful of plants and insects. Babies love to put things
in their mouth, and many items outdoors are poisonous. Make sure
to research anything you plant in the garden, as well as anything
that pops up in the wild. If you do find something poisonous,
uproot it immediately or kill it with a weed killer.
7. Be prepared for stings. Bees, wasps, yellow jackets etc, are
all real threats to your baby. If your child gets stung (assuming
that they aren’t allergic) you can administer a cold compress
and some antihistamines.
8. Grilling. Always keep the baby away from the grill and open
Here are the items that you should buy for baby proofing purposes:
Gentle Bug spray
Sun Screen SPF 50